Top Improvements That Will Make Your Home Guest-Friendly
Any homeowner would find home improvement projects exciting. However, when you have an Airbnb property, it can get a little more stressful. Think about increasing your property value while serving your guests better. You also want to boost your ratings as well.
Planning home improvements as an Airbnb host is a different process. We have gathered useful tips that will help you determine which improvements are worth investing your time and money.
Home improvement does not always have to be about replacing your flooring or walls. You can simply change some small aspects of the project, such as adding or swapping wall art and wallpapers. You can also add a new décor and reupholster your chairs or sofas. Tiny modifications may not be noticeable for you, but they can make a huge impact on the guests.
Add a Little Bit of Your Personality
Guests usually choose Airbnb properties that have something unique. At the same time, they want the place to resemble a real home. Therefore, you should not be afraid to inject your personality when modifying your home.
It is tricky, which is why some hosts do not go for this method. You may be wondering what your personality is and whether or not you are exciting enough. The key is not to overdo and overthink it. You can display objects that you may have collected from your travels and even stock books that you loved reading. When changing up the wall colours, you can paint an accent wall with your favourite colour.
You can go with whatever you like. After all, it is your personality. While you incorporate elements that are a part of your life, it is not best to make the space about you. “A little goes a long way,” as they say.
Remove Your Personal Items
While adding your personality is helpful, it does not mean you should use a ton of items you own. When choosing what to retain, always consider which of your belongings are functional to your guests. Some items you own that you would rather not share with others are those that should be hidden somewhere. Store them away or keep these things locked up in the pantry.
Some examples include:
- Your personal hygiene items, such as toothbrushes
- Laptops, cameras, and other valuable items
- Personal photos that show you or your family
- Documents that may have your name in them
If you still have the teddy bear that your grandmother gave you when you were five, it is best to keep it to yourself. Meanwhile, some items, even though they are yours, can still be shared, such as:
- Video games
- Important numbers, such as the police and fire department
- Local brochures
- Local directory
- Instructions, such as how to operate some appliances or devices
- A list of TV channels
Create a Hospitable Space
Some standards can help you make your Airbnb property guest-ready. The best way to achieve your goal is to understand the key elements of a welcoming space. The following questions can serve as your guide:
- How will my space offer comfort to the guests?
- Will my home provide convenience for them?
- What basic needs of the guests should I give during their stay?
- Have I considered the best ways to stay warm during winter?
- Should the space give information about the area or neighbourhood?
- Do I offer other information, especially for common questions that the guests may have?
- Am I giving a way to solve problems?
- Are there other details that I should be concerned about?
- How do I beat my competition, including the hotels in the area?
When you have the answers to the questions above, you can transform your Airbnb property into something guest-friendly.
Clean Your Airbnb
Something as simple as making sure your space is clean can make a huge difference. Every guest you welcome should see the property as clean and organised. You should put in all the effort you can to make the property as spotless as possible.
As an Airbnb host, your home is competing against the top hotels in the area. There are luxury brands that are around and can take your guests away. You should give them all the reasons you can provide to choose your home over any other option.
When it comes to cleaning, you should not skimp on it. Even some hotels with bad reviews have clean rooms to offer to their guests. You want to ensure that your home is clean whenever you welcome a new guest. You can always hire a professional cleaner if you do not want to do the scrubbing.
The glitz and glam will always be welcome in an Airbnb space. However, there is more to it than that in hosting. Often, guests look for convenience, which will make their stay comfortable and hassle-free.
If you try reading reviews of the best Airbnb properties around, you will see that the highest value lies in the overall experience of the guests. They want a place that will keep them focused on their objectives. They appreciate the hospitality, which is not just about how you take care of the guests when they arrive. It is also about their comfort during the whole stay.
To make the experience memorable, you may have to invest a little. Some things that ensure your home is ready for the guests are:
- Extra pillows and blankets
- Alarm clock
- Shampoo, conditioner, and soap
- Shaving cream
- Disposable razors
- Paper towels
- Toaster, microwave, or oven
- Coffeemaker with sugar, creamer, tea, or coffee ready for consumption
- Oil, salt, and similar items
- Cutting board
- Cleaning products
- Pots, pans, and other cooking utensils
Provide them with amenities so they will enjoy being in your home while they are away from their own homes.
Prioritise Your Guest’s Sleep
Most of the time, the travellers would book your place so they can sleep comfortably at night. There is nothing worse than not getting any sleep. It is essential that the bed does not feel too hard or too soft. There should be enough pillows and blankets.
It always helps to have drapes so light does not come in the room, disturbing your guests in the morning. You should also invest in a quality pillow top mattress topper and sheets. During the cold season, make sure you have enough blankets. Earplugs and eye masks are also useful.
Go Above and Beyond
Happy guests are easy to achieve, but you want more than just satisfaction on their part. You can have killer reviews if you strive for them. The process is not easy, but it is not that difficult as well, especially if you work for these positive reviews.
Put your best foot forward and understand the needs of the travellers. Only then will you be able to accommodate every requirement and conflict that may arise. Some things that you can offer to truly wow them are:
- Providing a phone that has a local sim card
- Offering menus for local restaurants that offer food deliveries
- Leaving discount coupons and tickets to events and attractions
- Offering bikes, coolers, or beach umbrellas depending on your location
- Giving bottled or sparkling water
- Providing airport pickup services
You can also think of the season which will help to determine what you can offer. For instance, if it is summer, you can leave fresh fruits for them. In the winter, you can provide hot chocolate drinks.
Present the Space Like a Professional Host
Now that you have everything in place, your guests will be happy with the place. However, your work does not stop here. Make sure you are proactive in keeping all the things you have prepared to look neat and organised. It will be something that will help you stand out from the other hosts in your area.
Keep the rooms presentable and clean. Fold the towels nicely, arrange the remote controls, and line up the chairs and furnishings perfectly. All these things can make a huge difference. You can come up with your own styling but make sure the finished look exudes comfort and orderliness.
Be Ready for the Guests’ Arrival
First impressions last, as they say. Your place should immediately be a knockout to the guests upon they enter the doorway. It is the hardest to achieve, but it is worth the effort you put into it. How your guests see your property the moment they get in will set the tone of their stay. If they come in and sense the positive vibe, it will be easy for you to get great reviews.
The following can help you win your guests:
- Have a welcome basket. You have plenty of options here, but some things that you can never go wrong with are chocolates, a bottle of wine, fluffy slippers, and toiletries.
- Make sure important phone numbers are ready. The welcome basket can also include all the phone numbers necessary to keep their stay convenient. You should also provide your phone number, so they can contact you whenever they need anything.
- Prepare a map. Your guests do not know most of what the local area is made of. While they can Google the amenities and nearby attractions, you can help them out with a local map.
- Leave snacks in the living area. You can also have them in the kitchen or their rooms. However, the general area is a great option, especially if you are worried about spills and stains.
If you follow the recommendations above, your guests will surely be pleasantly surprised by what you offer. From the warm welcome to the complete items, they will feel that they are staying in their own homes.